Data Integration Checklist - Environment Setup & Process Design
Following are the key points that needs to considered when setting up a Data Integration environment.
Data Integration Environment Setup
- Repository setup and folder structures to hold the development objects (code) like transformations/mappings/jobs.
- Coding standards and development process.
- Document templates for low level design specifications and for capturing test case & results.
- Version management process of the objects.
- Backup and restore process of the repository.
- Code migration process to move the object from one environment to the other like from development to the production environment.
- Recommended configuration variables like commit interval, buffer size, log file path etc
- User group and security definition
- Integration of the metadata of the database with the DI metadata and that of the DI metadata with the reporting environment
- Process for Impact Analysis for change request
- Data Security needs for accessing the production data and the process of data sampling for testing
- Roles and Responsibilities of the environment users like Administrator, Designer etc
Data Integration Process Design
- What are the different data sources and how are they to be accessed.
- How the data are provided by the source systems, is it incremental or full feed, how to determine the incremental records.
- What are the different target systems and how would the data be loaded
- Validation and reconciliation process for the incoming source data
- Handling late arriving dimension records
- Handling late arriving fact records
- Having dynamism in the validation and transformation process
- Error handling process definition
- Table structures for holding the error data and the error messages
- Process control or audit information gathering process definition
- Table structures for holding the process control data
- Determining reusable objects and its usage
- Template creation for commonly used logics like error handling, SCD handling etc.
- Data correction and reentry process
- Metadata capture during the development process
- Means of scheduling
- Initial data load plan
- Job failure and restartability methods