Pre – requisite
- Xcelsius Reporting Services (XRS) gateway needs to be installed on a web server where IIS, .NET framework and SQL Server are installed and configured.
- SSRS (SQL Server Reporting Services) reports need to be deployed in the SQL server, so that it can be accessible in the dashboard.
Xcelsius Connector to be used
Reporting Services Button can be used to get data from the SQL Server report which is deployed in the SQL server. The deployed report can be accessed through the below URL
Here the servername is the SQL Server Name.
Building the Dashboard
- Create a report using the SQL Server reporting services and deploy it to the server.
- While creating the dashboard, use the Reporting Services Button to connect to the SSRS data source as below:
- In the URL box, enter the path where the reports are deployed. On clicking the submit button, the reports in the server are listed.
- Select the target report and do the necessary data mapping in the underlying excel.
- If the report contains prompts, they would be listed in the report parameters that can be used by users at run time to pass values.
- Load the data into the dashboard based on the any one of the options available given below as per the requirement:
- Refresh on Load: Loads the data to the dashboard as soon as it is opened.
- Refresh on Interval: Loads the dashboard in periodic intervals.
- Trigger Behavior: Loads the dashboard based on an action in the dashboard.
- Generate the flash file (.swf) from the dashboard and deploy it portal for users to view the dashboard.
Hope you will be able to leverage your SQL Server environment effectively for integrating with Xcelsius dashboards. Please get back to me for any queries. Have an enjoyable 2011! Happy year ahead friends!