Transitioning to a New World – An Analytical Perspective
Recently, I had the opportunity to speak at the Silicon India Business Intelligence Conference. The topic I chose for the discussion was focused on providing the BI & Analytics perspective for companies transitioning to a new world. You can view my presentation at this link – http://bit.ly/VLDDfF
The gist of my presentation is given below:
1) First, established the fact that the world indeed is changing by showing some statistics:
- Data Deluge: Amount of digital data created in the world right now stands at 7 Zettabytes per annum (1 Zettabyte = 1 Trillion Terabytes)
- Social Media: Facebook has touched 1 Billion users which makes it the 3rd largest country in the world
- Cloud: Tremendous amount of cloud infrastructure is being created
- Mobility: There are 4.7 billion mobile subscribers which covers 65% of world population
2) Enterprises face a very different marketplace due to the profound changes taking place in the way people buy, sell, interact with one another, spend their leisure time etc.
3) To ensure that BI can help business navigate the new normal, there are 3 key focus areas.
- Remove Bottlenecks – Give business what they want
- Enhance Intelligence
- End to End Visibility by strengthening the fundamentals
For each of the 3 areas mentioned above, I gave some specific examples of the trends in the BI space.
1) For Removing Bottlenecks, the impact of in-memory and columnar databases were elaborated.
2) For enhancing intelligence, working with unstructured data and using big data techniques were discussed.
3) For the 3rd point, the focus was on strengthening the fundamentals in the BI landscape.
Please do check out my complete presentation at http://bit.ly/VLDDfF and let me know your views.
Thanks for reading.