Performance testing Streaming Media:-
If the media file is accessible through HTTP based URL, it can be captured as we do normally.
For 100 concurrent users to access streaming data, you need at least 100Mb of bandwidth to handle the load. Most business use media hosting providers.
There are many types of video like divx, avi, wmv. Approach varies according to the type of video. The objective is check for the video download, buffer time to load etc.
Media Streaming using WebLOAD :-
The WebLOAD Multimedia Add-On provides performance testing of multimedia web sites, simulating the behavior or real-life users in its load-testing and generating a realistic usage script. WebLOAD can generate multimedia usage of textual, graphical and video streaming, simulating end user browsing.
Media Streaming using LoadRunner (Only Windows media server):-
- Media Player (MMS) protocol comes from the Web 2.0 license bundle.
- Using Media Player (MMS) protocol, we can’t record any browser or media player content. It works only on replaying.
- Write code for the entire script to access the MMS videos at its URL (e.g. you will have to provide the full URL (mms://baboo/wahoo.wmv in the mms_play function).
- By doing so, you are actually sending request to the Windows Media Server, transmitting data packets without going through any application.
- If you need to do some activities on an application before reaching the video URL, those are not executed except accessing the video URL.
Media streaming protocol – Doesn’t support any browser based recording. It plays a video file which is present already.
The scripting approach may vary depending upon whether the video connect is a browser plugin or in the form of conventional media player.
We need to do a feasibility study and have to confirm once the Connect module is available.