Considerations for Informatica 9.1 Upgrade
With 9x wave from Informatica hitting the market big, our long plans for Informatica Upgrade were focused on to 9.1.0 HotFix 2 (a recent release) for the PowerCenter edition. The EOL(end of life) notice from Informatica to end their standard support on 8x also made our decision to focus on the latest and greatest version for the Powercenter. With our development and test environments successfully upgraded, we are heading towards the shadow run of our production environment.
Below are some key points to be considered when doing an upgrade.
Set your expectations
- What is the minimal timeframe to get the upgrade done?
- What is the available hardware for the upgrade in my company (new procurements if needed)?
- Are we purchasing additional PowerCenter Options to improve our existing system?
- Addition/removal of PowerConnect/PowerExchange Adapters needed
- If windows based, are we going to upgrade to 64-bit Operating system(o/s) ?
- Are there any unsupported components in the new version? (In our case, Hyperion Planning DIM adapters were not supported after 8x versions)?
- Does this upgrade force me to upgrade any other systems (such as PeopleSoft, Hyperion, SFDC, etc)?
- What are the benefits of upgrading to a newer version?
Analyze your current environment
The existing 8x (or older) environment should be analyzed, and a checklist to be prepared to fulfill the expectations and choose the right version.
- Current Hardware setup (Operating System, Storage, memory, etc)
- PowerCenter Options/License in existing system
- PowerExchange adapters and its Compatibility
- Batch scripts/ schedulers
- Dependency with external systems
- Other Data services (such as FTP, IIS etc)
Choose the right version
Choosing the right version of Informatica will be the key to a successful upgrade. We chose to upgrade our windows environment from 32-bit to 64-bit for performance and faster processing, which left us on choosing Informatica 9.1.0 HF 2 (64 bit) windows setup.
Select the needed options
With the time crunch on implementing the upgrade, we are left to look at the options for a later time. But I would recommend to plan and analyze the new options that Informatica provides to enhance the current setup.
Prepare your environment
The current system should be prepared for the upgrade to make the upgrade process faster. Below are some points you may need to look at
- Repository cleanup
Clean up logs and retired objects (if not done on a regular basis) before the upgrade.
Moving our Informatica LDAP security from 8.1.1 to 9.1.0 HF2 required a workaround to upgrade the repository to 8.5/8.6 before directly going to 9.1.0.
- Development/modification for existing code –
We changed some of our code that were based on Custom Transformations and adapters, which were not supported with the new version or Operating system.
- Schedules/Time frames for the Parallel run
- Batch scripts/external scripts
With the completion of the above-mentioned steps successfully, we procured the software, licenses and hardware for the new system. We upgraded our environment successfully without any major issues. We also look forward to use some of the new features and options provided by Informatica to enhance our system. I would write further on more niche topics related to the upgrade in my blogs to come. Thanks for reading and appreciate your valuable feedback.